Members present: Walt, Susan, Dick, Tina, Floyd, Sally, Debi
Minutes from previous meeting accepted and passed.
Turbo Tax – Debi took the test and passed; Marcia will do the same. So far no one has used the program. Tina will ask Jaime Dolan if he can be a back-up.
Pay increases: Debi will advise Marcia, Meredith, and Mark that they have received pay increases.
Computers - TechSoup hadn’t installed Norton anti-virus in error. They wanted them sent back to install; however, Mark got them to just send the software that he could install.
Patron Incidences (2)
- Inappropriate behavior patron toward Debi and young volunteer. Attempted to kiss Debi and hold her hand. Spoke belligerently to young volunteer at the desk.
- Patron who spoke to Debi loudly and without civility regarding the fact that the library had called her home and spoken to her 15-year old daughter to confirm her name on her new library card.
- If incident happens again the Board will take measures. Staff can call Floyd for back-up at any time.
Luke is going to come to the Library and start it. Debi will send out an email to Board before hand so someone else can learn how to do it. Also, need to find out if it is safe/legal to run the generator from the shed, rather than having to move it out of the shed and towards the Library. Walt (?) will ask Luke.
Talk about it in Other Business
Summer Reading Program
Betsy Graziadei (is this the right spelling)--Six hours a month for three months. Debi spent $200 last summer for the program. Board made a motion to spend $200 for the program this summer. Passed.
Bake Sale: Cleared $193
Don Oliveau Contribution
- $1900 remains. Debi sent him a note thanking him for it and asking about using the balance for other things besides the garden. Hasn’t gotten a response yet.
- Walt proposed Susan Oliveau Memorial Building Fund-
- Call to attention to patrons and potential donors that the fund exists.
- Susan suggested attaching list of projects (e.g., roof, water system, heating system, building maintenance, etc).
- Good interim step to a capital fund.
- Debi will give Don a call to solicit his blessing.
- Garden will always continue to be well-funded ($900 still in it) and taken care of.
- Motion made to establish fund. Passed.
- Promote it: Line item in the Town Report, Annual Appeal letter, poster
- Building Fund Discussion
- Possible summer event for it
- Need a person to assess what are the upcoming long and short term expenditures that we can expect and figure out how to fund
- Can’t rely solely on “bake sales” to fund this
- Floyd talked to Acker. Could cost up to $10K and that is without stone lining. The ditch was there before the Library was built.
- NRCS- said it was a modified stream, natural waterway. As houses were built, became a bigger stream.
- Maybe secure some sort of Building and h state grant
- Postpone decision until later
Selection of Officers
- Reappointed Leila for additional three-year term
- Re-elected Walt to be President of the Board
- Re-elected Tina to be Vice-President of the Board
- Elected Sally to be Secretary
- Re-elected Larry Masterson to be Treasurer
Dual goal: Community awareness and making money
Questions and Comments:
- How much money do we need to make to meet objectives in fundraisers? $3200/12 month period
- What events are worthy of the greatest focus?
- Should we divy up events among Board members so that responsibility is spread out, and allows members to not have to participate in every event? Set target figures for each event. Make it more explicit.
- The long-term goal that the Board and Town need to start thinking about is how the Library going to be sustained? Strategic plan needed to make attractive to the Town to take over difference between what the Town pays vs the endowment dividend and fundraising activities. It will be a slow and gradual process that needs to be seeded in the minds of Lincoln residents.
- Raffle with trip to Mexico, Roaring 20’s dinner, 10th Anniv Book sale,
- Book sale and plant sale always successful events.
- Venue for gala events is huge
- Tina volunteered to do a house and garden tour; will work with Debi who is already working on a summer senior tour.
- Dick -- Annual Appeal Letter
- Chili Dinner -Sally
- Election Day /lunchdinner (?) –Walt and Floyd
- October Book/Plant Sale - Susan
- Memorial Day Town Yard Sale– Leila (note: Leila was not at the meeting to say yay or nay J )